This year we hope to achieve:
* A celebration of our musical successes and talents through our school performances and public performance in the Summer.
* A broad choice of exciting extra curricular activities in performing arts, both within school and in the local community.
* Continued success of our drumming, vocal coaching and piano/keyboard lessons.
* Continuing to build our musical skills and confidence.
Throughout May to July students from Year 7 and Year 9 took part in the annual Sefton SEN schools Project. This year the students had the task of composing and performing music to the project 'Space' theme. They participated in a range of workshops at the SPACE centre in Bootle that included songwriting, music technology and drumming to name but a few. All students did really well on the project to bring all these elements together for the final performance and we are very
proud of their achievements. Everyone enjoyed the performances on the 26th June and 3rd July 2018, the song 'Mr. Milky Way' that the children had composed and performed was a real hit.
*SPACE PROJECT CONTINUES …
We have been invited back for a further 2 weeks at SPACE this September. The aim is to help the students make the transition to joining the after school and weekend activities available at the SPACE centre. The students have shown a keen interest in this and some have already joined and working towards one of their productions.
**LIVERPOOL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA CONCERT
In June 2018 the primary children attended the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra's Schools Concert 'Fairy Magic'. They all really enjoyed taking part in the interactive performance and sitting in the 'posh' box seats! Following on from the conducting project earlier in the year, the children had the opportunity to see a conductor at a live performance. The children took part conducting the orchestra, we have some budding conductors amongst our primary pupils.
*SUMMER ARTS AWARD / GCSE CONCERT
Congratulations to all performers in the summer concert on the 28th June 2018. Through the children's ongoing commitment to learning music they made such fine performances. We heard Year 6 give a fabulous debut keyboard performance, primary pupils showcase their conducting skills, Year 7s solo and ensemble performances, Year 9s GCSE preparation performances and Year 11s djembe leadership project performance. Some pupils were working on this concert as part of
their Arts Award qualifications and for GCSE Music preparation. .
Between March and June 2018 our Year 11 student planned and delivered a series of djembe workshops leading towards the summer concert as part of the Level 2 Silver Arts Award qualification. The project was lead very well and even the audience were given a part to join in
Overview of GCSE for parents and children, and bronze/silver course information:
LISTENING TASKS - GCSE MUSIC
Area of Study 3 – TRADITIONAL MUSIC
LISTENING TASKS - GCSE MUSIC
Area of Study 2 – POPULAR MUSIC
AoS1 – Western Classical Tradition 1650 – 1910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIFpf5JxzHA (with music score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgD9SSvlSHY (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyqMhxK-Hs (Musical features)
AoS2 – Popular Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWTjNH-AX0 (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5girVTDmpyM (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXe03j-VOqE (Musical features)
AoS3 – Traditional Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILoDrX8otUE (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kvl9qp2A0 (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcmgiD9SDqk (Musical features)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSyjJ4g9GiU (Musical features)
AoS4 – Western Classical Tradition since 1910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVahuS9hk_s (with music score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRato8kJjs (Musical features)
Online music education quizzes, games and activities to support Music Learning:
Listening and Understanding Music:
New York Philharmonic Kids Zone:
These 4 games and activities are recommended from the above website.
· Instrument Frenzy – Sort the instruments into the 4 sections of the orchestra http://www.nyphilkids.org/games/main.phtml?
· Music Match Composers – listen and match composers and their music http://www.nyphilkids.org/games/main.phtml?
· Music Match Instruments – Listen and match musical instruments (sounds and pictures) http://www.nyphilkids.org/games/main.phtml?
· Make Your Own Instrument – make a musical instrument using everyday items http://www.nyphilkids.org/games/main.phtml?
Composing & Arranging Music:
· Incredibox – Compose, record and share your mix http://www.incredibox.com
· Online Drum Sampler - Create your own drum beat using your computer keyboard
· Merseyside Youth Association
(Noise and Space Projects in Music, Dance or Drama) http://www.mya.org.uk/our-projects/?type=creative
· Sky Music Hub http://www.skymusichub.com
· Resonate Music Hub http://www.resonatehub.co.uk
Click here for more information.